Allan’s practice focuses on the broad array of real estate transactions, with a special emphasis on real estate development and complex financing vehicles for real estate projects, including tax exempt bonds and low income housing tax credits. Additional practice areas include land use and entitlements, business formations and joint venture agreements, tax and business consulting, and partnership and construction disputes. Clients include real estate developers and investors, high net worth individuals, private lenders, and not-for-profit corporations such as private schools and health care providers. Allan has closed transactions in over 20 states and two foreign countries, with transaction sizes exceeding $100 million.
Most lawyers are scriveners who professionally document transactions on behalf of their clients. However, rare is the lawyer who understands the details of the client’s business as well as, or better than, the client himself. Having previously been a real estate developer in his own right, as well as in-house counsel for a real estate developer, Allan also holds a California real estate broker’s license and a California general contractor’s license. Allan is the rare breed of lawyer who understands every aspect of real estate well beyond its fundamentals, from purchase and sale transactions, to finance, development, zoning, commercial leasing, investment, tax deferred exchanges and more.
Allan is “deal driven”. His single focus is on closing the deal, while not getting sidetracked with relatively small or emotional issues that do not affect the overall transaction. In particular, he knows how to deal with opposing parties or counsel whose personalities are difficult, and he does not let those difficult issues or personalities interfere with closing the deal.
Allan enjoys his very large family of children and grandchildren, and he is committed to promoting Jewish education. In his spare time, he is an avid reader of Jewish philosophy and culture and 20th Century US and world history.
Recent Representative Transactions
- Represented a California based operator in the $24,000,000 acquisition of a 108 bed assisted living facility in Roseville, Minnesota.
- Represented an international logistics company in regard to alleged building code violations at nine large warehouse facilities located in Los Angeles and Orange counties.
- Represented a Wyoming based operator in the purchase and repositioning of five poorly performing assisted living facilities in the greater Minneapolis – St. Paul area, through a $58,450,000 credit facility comprised of tax exempt senior bonds, taxable senior bonds and tax exempt subordinate bonds issued in conjunction with five separate municipal host agencies.
- Represented a Texas based non-profit in the $6,000,000 acquisition of a Rural Regional Medical Center in North Carolina.
- Engaged, on a pro bono basis, to form a non-profit corporation to promote mental health through sports for a Philadelphia based sponsor who lost a child.
- Represented a Maryland based operator as California counsel in the $124,000,000 refinance of 34 mobile home parks located in three states.
- Represented a charitable remainder trust in the liquidation of numerous parcels of undeveloped land in the Inland Empire that were the nucleus of one of the largest gifts ever to an well-known international charity.
- Represented a local home builder in the development, construction and sale of approximately 1,328 single family residences in Azusa, Chatsworth, Encino, Irvine, Lake Forrest, Laguna Hills, Rancho Cucamonga, Simi Valley, Sylmar, Thousand Oaks and Upland, California.
- Represented various investors, developers and redevelopers in the production of approximately 3,194 rental housing units located in five states.
- Represented a local developer in the development, construction and leasing of three office buildings in Los Angeles and Orange counties comprising approximately 100,000 square feet.
- Represented nine independent, non-profit schools, in separate transactions, in the issuance of approximately $60,000,000 of tax exempt debt for construction and refinance of school facilities located in three states.