John regularly represents employers facing claims and threats from their current or former employees. These claims include discrimination, harassment, wage/ hour and class actions. John helps employers quickly identify the issues they are facing as well as how to achieve the best outcomes. John looks to solve problems effectively and quickly.
Additionally, when former employers steal trade secrets or new hires potentially bring competitors trade secrets, John advises employers how to best deal with these threats.
John’s approach to litigation matches each client’s budget, tolerance and overall needs. In short, he does what needs to be done to get the desired outcome. John has litigated hundreds of matters in state and federal courts and arbitrations.
John spent almost five years working in the Civil Division of one of the largest U.S. Attorney’s Offices in the country. He handled all aspects of defending the United States and its agencies and employees. This experience has given John a tremendous insight into how cases typically progress to resolution and how judges and juries are most likely to respond to the facts of the case. John has a track record of winning cases on motions, at trial and, if necessary, on appeal.
John was formerly the president of the Beverly Hills Bar Association, a full-service bar representing over 6,000 lawyers. Under John’s leadership, the Bar continued its activism and activities by presenting over 200 programs and events and regularly voicing its support for civil rights and the Rule of Law. John regularly speaks at national and local meetings on issues concerning employment law and the legal profession.
- J.D., University of California, Los Angeles (1990)
- UCLA Journal of Environmental Law and Policy, Business Editor (1989-90)
- Chair, Jewish Law Students Association
- B.S., with High Honors, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (1987)
- Wrestling (Varsity Letter Winner)
- Sigma Alpha Mu Social Fraternity
- Beverly Hills Bar Association
- President (2012-2013)
- President Elect (2011-2012)
- Board of Governors (1993-2003, 2008-2014)
- Chair, Litigation Section Dinner (2017-Present)
- Beverly Hills Bar Association Barristers
- President (1997-1998)
- National Conference of Bar Presidents
- Executive Council (2014-17)
- Program Committee (2014-Present)
- ABA, Labor and Employment Section–(Track coordinator for Discrimination/Harassment/Retaliation at 2018 Annual Meeting.) (2017-18)
- Edelson and Kay, eds., Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in California (State Bar of California 2014 Ed.) (Co-Author of Chapters 13-16, re criminal liability for trade secret theft)
- Access Denied, Los Angeles Lawyer, February 2006 (Co-Author)
- Access Denied, Using the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act to Restrict Employee Mobility, The Computer & Internet Lawyer, June 2006 (Co-Author)
- Using the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act in Employment Cases, California Labor and Employment Law Review, March 2007 (Co-Author)
- Edelson and Kay, eds., Trade Secret Litigation and Protection in California (State Bar of California 2009 and 2011 Supplement) (Co-Author of Chapters 13-15, re criminal liability for trade secret theft)
- Co-Author, Chapter 6: General Evidentiary Issues for Workplace-Related ESI, Workplace Data Law and Litigation (Bloomberg BNA 2013)
- Book Review, 8 UCLA J.Envtl. L. & Pol’y. 119 (1988)