Joe is an experienced trial lawyer focusing on business and real estate litigation and transactional matters relating thereto.
Joe has tried over a hundred cases in state and federal court, both jury and bench trials, and has represented numerous clients in a variety of arbitrations and administrative hearings. Particular areas of emphasis include contract disputes, construction defects, various types of real estate matters, including title matters, mechanic’s liens, fraud claims, unfair competition and business tort litigation. Joe emphasizes economic common-sense and honesty in his representation of clients in litigation. Joe understands that every client’s case is unique, and that the prosecution or defense of each client must be customized to the client.
In addition to his litigation practice, Joe has maintained for the past 42 years a transactional practice that is limited to the same areas in which he has handled trials. Joe’s transactional experience includes the areas of real estate and a wide variety of business matters, including the preparation of contracts, leases, and the formation and maintenance of corporations, partnerships, and limited liability companies. Prior to joining BKO, Joe was in sole practice for several years and prior to that was the founding and managing partner of two prior firms.
Joe’s outside interests include fishing, hunting, gardening, food and wine, but not necessarily in that order. Joe and his wife, Kathy, are the proud parents of three beautiful, and always entertaining, adult daughters.
Representative Trial Experience
The constantly increasing costs of litigation mean that most cases can and should be settled, but it is important to be ready and able to go to trial if a reasonable resolution can’t be reached. Joe has served as trial counsel in numerous matters including:
- Trial counsel in a $1,000,000+ real estate fraud/breach of contract action.
- Trial counsel in a $2,000,000+ shareholder dispute in binding private arbitration.
- Trial counsel in a $2,000,000+ real estate/partnership dispute.
- Trial counsel in a $1,000,000+ trial to determine corporate officers and access to corporate books and records.
- Trial counsel in a $4,000,000+ trial on behalf of lender in a default and foreclosure matter concerning multiple commercial loans on multiple private aircraft.
- Trial counsel in a $2,000,000+ real property specific performance action.
- Trial counsel in quiet title action on real property involving third party recordation of fraudulent deed.
- Trial counsel in an action involving boundary line dispute between adjoining properties.
- Trial counsel in a $900,000 fraud action involving lenders and title to residential real property.
- Trial counsel in a $20,000,000 construction defect action involving commercial property.
- Trial counsel in successful defense of breach of commercial lease action with a claim of $13,000,000 by plaintiff-lessor.